'Raya and the Last Dragon' offerings coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

15 days ago in "Rafiki's Planet Watch"

Disney's Animal Kingdom will be hosting a couple of new experiences based on the upcoming movie 'Raya and the Last Dragon.'

Beginning February 22 at The Animation Experience at Conservation Station, you will be able to learn to draw new characters from 'Raya and the Last Dragon.'

At Discovery Island Stage, artists will be working on a 40-ton sand sculpture celebrating the new film. The display will feature Raya, Tuk Tuk, Sisu the last dragon and the Ongi, all set in the fantasy world of Kumandra. It takes a team of two talented artists over 24 hours to build and carve the display made entirely from sand. Guests will have the opportunity to watch the artisans at work February 19 through 21 and the carving will remain on display at Disney’s Animal Kingdom for a limited time through the end of March.

Article Posted: Feb 15, 2021 / 12:06pm ET

Dizmentia9 hours ago

Animal Kingdom Asia McDonald's Happy Meal coming soon...I mean, Raya and the Last Dragon.🐲

Touchdown8 days ago

It’s actually not, this film borrows elements from Southeast Asia (countries south of China) and is not Chinese in the same way Coco isn’t an American inspired film.

MrPromey8 days ago

Got the impression from the start, which seemed confirmed by the trailers that this movie's main purpose was to appeal to the Chinese market. Having watched the live action Mulan, I feel the exact same way about that one. Just doesn't seem like the primary focus of either of these are the US which would explain why Disney's so cool with releasing them this way. They probably weren't expecting huge things over here for either of them so they're good projects to use for experimenting with release formats.

DCBaker8 days ago

Touchdown9 days ago

I feel like PatF-Moana represented an era “the revival” but ever since (the totally justifiable) departure of John Lassiter Disney movies have lost a step and are not of the same quality. I am hoping Raya reverses course (it is after all the first original film since Moana) but I’m not sure it will.

tcool1239 days ago

I would say we our in the midst of a modern animated Disney Renaissance, much like the 90's one every WDAS film starting with Princess and the Frog has been a financial success. Just like the Renaissance in the 90's not every film is a critical darling (Pocahontas and Hercules), and we already have a sequel that's frequently forgotten about (Winnie the Pooh is this Renaissance's Rescuers Down Under).

seabreezept8139 days ago

There have been some solid films like Moana.. but Disney seems much less invested in traditional animation when you consider how frequently some of these types of films used to be released. I always wonder/worry that they will drop animation entirely.

yensidtlaw19699 days ago

On the list of superlatives that can be applied to the Disney Renaissance, "Well regarded" and "consistent quality" rank low.

doctornick9 days ago

The recent WDAS animated features have been well regarded, haven't they? I feel like ever since PATF/Tangled, we've been seeing pretty consistently quality films

seabreezept8139 days ago

I just want a new animation Renaissance.. but not sure this will start one

Giss Neric9 days ago

Early reviews are generally very positive aside from the criticisms some have regarding casting choices. People have choices to watch it in theaters if they don't wanna pay $30. I wouldn't mind paying $30 cause I'm really intrigued by the movie but I would rather watch it in theaters cause my home entertainment system ain't up to par. I really need surround sound and bigger screen to appreciate a movie. Oh and I'm on board with retheming Kali BUT if they do please lengthen the ride in the process. This water ride is so short.

DCBaker9 days ago

Animaniac93-989 days ago

I think that's why Beastly Kingdome was its own separate land, just like how the extinct dinosaurs are in their own, despite those fossils being found all over the world. The fantastic and the real were intended to both be represented, but not mixed together. That's what made Africa, Asia different from Adventureland or older Imagineering concepts. You went to the "real world" in those areas.