Disney's Magical Express service to be discontinued next year

Jan 11, 2021 in "Disney Magical Express"

Posted: Monday January 11, 2021 12:01pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney plans to end its Magical Express airport transportation service in 2022.

In a statement, Disney said: "Vacationers have more options to choose from than ever for transportation, including ride-share services that save time and offer more flexibility to go where they want, when they want. In light of this shift, when Disney Resort hotel bookings open for stays in 2022, we will no longer offer Disney’s Magical Express service for airport transportation, starting with arrivals Jan. 1, 2022. We will continue to operate the service for new and existing reservations made at Disney Resort hotels for arrivals throughout 2021. Additionally, complimentary transportation options – such as buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner – will continue to be available within Walt Disney World Resort for Disney Resort hotel guests, including to and from all four theme parks."

Disney’s Magical Express service did reopen from the COVID-19 shutdown in mid-July, but has not been providing luggage delivery service for those arriving to and departing from the airport.

Magical Express was launched back in 2005, and quickly became a popular option for guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, often saving guests hundreds of dollars on transportation costs. The service is operated by a third party vendor Mears Transportation.

Jrb197926 days ago

I wouldn't pay that price either for an express pass at Universal. Here's the thing for me. When I go to any parks and not just Disney I look for deals to get in. I never go to Florida parks in the summer ever as that's when it costs the most. I go to Florida parks in January or February. Universal usually does a buy 2 days get 2 days free which makes the ticket cost about $60 a day. The only other parks I go to are Cedar Fair parks which I have a platinum pass for and it costs me $200 for the year.

Dutch Inn '7627 days ago

$100-125 isn't "reasonable at all," but you're willing to "show up and buy an express pass and ride whatever" you want. Do that today at USO and it'll cost you $229.99. I'm confused. ;)

RSoxNo128 days ago

Personally, I really only have objections to what's being done in EPCOT. Sure, mistakes have been made in the other parks, but EPCOT is really what's objectionable to me.

JoeCamel28 days ago

Mears does, no luggage but Disney wasn't paying $10-$15 for your luggage handling either, welcome to the new world order where all costs are outfront and there is no opt out.

unmitigated disaster28 days ago

Jungle Cruise is different at Disneyland. I don't get why Disney can't offer the Magical Express as a paid option. An extra $10 or $15 bucks a person? Yeah, the luggage alone makes that worth it for me.

UNCgolf28 days ago

Yeah, we got a bit off topic here. Magical Express was irrelevant to me personally, though. Never used it.

runnsally28 days ago

The Lansky car seats were the only negative of our last DL trip.

note200128 days ago

... but there's no Magical Express in California. :eek:

UNCgolf28 days ago

I'm not planning to skip it -- just planning to spend half a day there. Can't see how I'd need more than that when there are only two or maybe three attractions I'd want to ride. Doesn't take that long to walk around and explore everything if you're not waiting in line.

flynnibus28 days ago

dca is worthy. Skipping it (including carsland) would be a big mistake.

UNCgolf28 days ago

There are a lot of attractions I'm okay skipping -- there's almost nothing I care about doing in DCA beyond RSR and Soarin', but I'd only do the latter if it's Soarin' Over California instead of the world. Grizzly River Run is the only other ride in that park I'm interested in, but wouldn't be upset if I missed it. I think I'd try to do a few hours at DCA one day to just walk around and see it along with those two or three rides (hopefully) and then spend the rest of that day and one other full day at Disneyland. As long as I can get in the Fantasyland dark rides, POTC, and Indy at DL proper I'd probably be happy, although there are several other things I would really like to do. Most everything else is stuff I wouldn't really be upset if I missed, even if I'd ideally like to do/see it.

flynnibus28 days ago

Two days will require skipping a good number of things... or doing COVID schedule where they don't have most of their entertainment. It almost is all of WDW in a fraction of the space when it comes to attractions and nighttime entertainment. Spend 3 days or prepare for full commando mode.

Jrb197928 days ago

I dontl't find that reasonable at all. Then again the more I think about it I don't fit into any of the Disney fan groups. IMO there is 3 main Disney fan groups. 1 is the family with young kids. 2nd is the 40 to 60 group that don't do thrill rides and grew up going to Disney yearly as a child. The 3rd is the empty nesters that go just for the festivals and ride the occasional attraction. For me I am 41 and my child is 1. Right now Disney isn't in my plans til she is 4 or 5 and can enjoy the parks. As most know I love my coasters and thrill rides. Part of which I enjoy Universal more. The other part is the lack of planning involved for Universal. I can show up and buy my express pass and ride what I want whenever I want.

marni197128 days ago

Buzz is different and superior enough to warrant a ride if dark rides are your speciality. Especially remembering it fits into a Circlevision theatre and preshow. Even so try Space Mountain once. No matter which version it is, the smooth ride and the... alternate layout has to be experienced once. Biggest surprise was 3 lifts for Orlando’s one. BTM will mess with your head when you know it’s mostly all Orlando but mirrored. But we digress. Happy to carry this on elsewhere if needed.