Thatched roof takes shape on the new porte-cochere at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

19 days ago in "Disney's Polynesian Resort"

Polynesian Village Resort Great Ceremonial House construction - July 13 2021
Posted: Wednesday July 14, 2021 12:36pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Work is continuing to complete the all-new porte-cochere at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

Crews are installing the thatched roof over the impressive new main arrival area.

Progress continues on the new monorail station behind the porte-cochere, with new access stairs being installed along with work on the platform and roof structure.

Although the Polynesian will reopen to guests on July 19, the new monorail station will not yet be complete, neither will the new main entrance.

Skywise1 hour ago

Bolt!

rle4lunch9 hours ago

I wonder how he got his helicopter so low in order to take these pics?!? bonus points if you know the movie this screen grab is from.

montyz8111 hours ago

Wow. I am so disappointed in the lack of detail for the new entrance. I really hope that they try to cover these structures to bring that wood look of the old entrance. If not... it looks like the cost-cutting continues. I've seen better displays at Six Flags.

Mr. Moderate3 days ago

The construction pace is frustrating slow and they need to kick it in gear. Please get this open before October.

Skywise3 days ago

Welcome to iHop!

MrPromey4 days ago

I agree and maybe for the same reason. That said, if they were to do something about that, I'd say this is coming along better than I was expecting.

UNCgolf8 days ago

Maybe it's because I already know it's metal, but it doesn't look like wood at all to me. It looks like a steel/aluminum sheet. I'm not planning to stay at the Polynesian anyways, though, so it doesn't matter to me.

Disney Analyst8 days ago

Honestly, with these decent shots showing the underside, I don’t mind it. Just looks like wood planks painted white. Works for me.

James Alucobond8 days ago

For as slowly as Disney moves at construction, I'm consistently impressed by how quickly and secretly the horticulture team is able to transform spaces.

DCBaker9 days ago

Disney Analyst9 days ago

wdwmagic12 days ago

still very much construction site in that area so hard to tell what is happening currently.

CuteAsMinnie12 days ago

Maybe someone who is there will report back if they see this over the derailed non- Poly posts! 🤣 🌺

GimpYancIent12 days ago

It goes a bit deeper than cosmetics. Some demo and reconfiguring is needed first then the application of styling.