Golf courses remain open for business at Walt Disney World during coronavirus shutdown

Mar 23, 2020 in "Golf at Walt Disney World"

Posted: Monday March 23, 2020 8:26am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Despite the closure of all the Walt Disney World theme parks and resort hotels due to coronavirus shutdowns, there is one experience still operating as normal.

Walt Disney World's golf courses are still open for business, along with FootGolf. Note that the mini-golf courses are not available.

BlindChow3 minutes ago

Ah yes, victim-shaming. A hallowed past-time of a certain type of individual... Yes, if only a large portion of those 550,000 hadn't allowed themselves to get so OLD, they'd still be alive today....

DC070311 minutes ago

What you are describing is totally fine and fairly common practice these days. I'm talking about more about people who falsely claim to have a severe allergy that causes the wait staff and chefs to go the extra mile and take extra safety precautions with their meal. This erodes trust that carries over to other diners and can over time contribute the attitude that allergies are all made up for attention.

havoc31517 minutes ago

It doesn’t exactly conclude “far more effective” than lockdowns.. "Although multiple other factors besides the vaccines might have influenced these results, several observations suggest that these patterns are likely to be driven, to a considerable degree, by the vaccines. Basically, a restatement of the obvious. The recent massive declines in Israel are being driven “by a considerable degree” by vaccination. Vaccination works!!! Not surprising. But nothing In the study suggests they would be having the same success without their lockdowns. They acknowledge that the lockdowns (multiple other factors) also contributed to the decline. There is no simple easy cure. Vaccines are the most powerful tool we have. But the more weapons we deploy against Covid, the faster we can get rid of it. And like Israel, get rid of mask mandates, etc.

ImperfectPixie50 minutes ago

It got so close...puts me between Boston and Providence.

Chomama57 minutes ago

Dang. Mine was way off. Although it was the exact midpoint between where I was born and spent childhood (Chicago) and where I live now (Alabama). It said Lexington KY. That was kinda interesting

Bullseye19671 hour ago

For me also. It actually nailed my hometown.

TrainChasers1 hour ago

Why? I order gluten free food all the time even though I’ve never been tested. My stomach seems to be much happier if I avoid gluten so I do. I’ve never felt the need to explain that to a waiter... I just ask to order off the gluten free menu or ask if something is gluten free.

UNCgolf1 hour ago

I completely agree. I don't really care that much about characters to begin with, and I know they need to keep some meet and greets for kids, but having characters pop up unexpectedly in random locations around the parks seems like a much better experience for the average guest and more magical for kids as well.

helenabear1 hour ago

Some also assume that intolerance is just a way of avoiding. Like gluten as a diet choice vs the real deal. One of my friends is far more miserable with lactose than another who gets mild hives for their true allergy. But those often assume you just don't like it or it's a choice because some are so picky. I'll be honest we have not tested for allergies for me because chances of mine ever being life threatening is almost nil. But the good doc used a proper elimination diet and given my seasonal type allergy reaction to floral family and benadryl can help some, we assume super mild. If I ever tighten at all I'm to revisit. So I do say allergy to chefs to servers so they don't think I'm picky when raw onion turns up on my plate touching my food.

disneygeek901 hour ago

Meet and greets are no personal loss to me. In fact, I actually enjoy the cavalcades more than the traditional greets. I do hope they still keep it in some aspect when meet and greets do return. Parades are fine, but I don’t like sitting around for 30+ mins waiting for it. I like the flexibility and spontaneity of the cavalcades.

DC07032 hours ago

You make some good points, and I am very sympathetic of others suffering with allergies. But I am also not very tolerant of those who fake allergies to get out of things. In the 44 years I have had a severe allergy, my radar goes up with others mention having severe allergies like mine. My immediate reaction is empathy; this person "understands". So when I see that person then indulging in the very allergen they previously said was deadly to them, it bothers me. While they may have their reasons, I can't deny that this type of behavior makes it more challenging for me and others like me to be taken seriously - and that needs to be called out.

Flugell2 hours ago

I know Astra Zeneca has had some problems but they made their vaccine on a non profit basis for the sake of the world. My husband and I have had our first AZ doses and have our second scheduled. Yes we will be having them with no worries. The majority of our friends and family have also had AZ with no consequences.

MickeyLuv'r2 hours ago

Instead of allergy, maybe think of lactose intolerance. In 2021, people have now heard of lactose intolerance, but 5 years ago - not so much. No waitperson wants to stand around while their customer explains their exact level of lactose intolerance in detail. If you have ever brought up your food allergy at a party, I suspect you have experienced the same type of general reaction. It isn't a topic most folks are eager to discuss. Again I go back to my earlier post, allergies are scary. Also, when it comes to allergies, much is unknown, and there is much lack of education. the average person doesn't understand the difference between food allergies and food intolerance, nor do they care. If someone says, allergy' when they really mean, 'intolerance," because they don't want to have to explain their medical condition in detail, I personally can cut them a little slack. It is a little like people with hard to pronounce names when they dine out. They don't give their real last name, because they'd have to pronounce it 5 times and spell it, and still the hostess would just mangle the pronunciation. Instead, they just say their name is "Smith," to the person at the podium.

UNCgolf2 hours ago

Indeed she did, which was great! But the US government gave them close to a billion dollars to help develop it, and then another $1.5 billion in pre-ordered vaccines. Not that I think the US government should have the patent for it. If so, the German government should have the patent for the Pfizer vaccine because they were the biggest contributor to its development (at least I think that's accurate).