Walt Disney World theme parks closed until further notice

Mar 27, 2020 in "The Walt Disney Company"

Posted: Friday March 27, 2020 3:52pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has announced this afternoon that its domestic theme parks, which include both Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California, will remain closed until further notice due to the impacts of the coronavirus.

In the statement, Disney also confirmed that the company will continue to pay its "hourly" Cast Members through April 18 2020. It isn't clear what the pay situation will be for salaried Cast Members.

The company originally announced on March 13 that normal operations at Walt Disney World would be temporarily suspended at the close of business on Sunday March 15 2020 through to the end of March 2020.

This is the full statement from Disney:

While there is still much uncertainty with respect to the impacts of COVID-19, the safety and well-being of our Guests and employees remain The Walt Disney Company’s top priority.

As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice.

The Walt Disney Company has been paying its Cast Members since the closure of the parks, and in light of this ongoing and increasingly complex crisis, we have made the decision to extend paying hourly parks and resorts Cast Members through April 18.

Heppenheimer17 minutes ago

Someone a few weeks ago asked if doctor's can be disciplined for questionable approaches to COVID-19. Apparently, the answer is, yes. At least in Oregon: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/959173?uac=263100MZ&faf=1&sso=true&impID=3655821&src=mkm_covid_update_210921_MSCPEDIT

BrianLo42 minutes ago

I know we’re not supposed to talk politics, but probably no one is up in arms about Canada I imagine. Important to note that the party that actually was upfront anti-vaccine is purple and did not win any seats. Theoretically blue would hold that subset of people in normal times, but the party did not try to make that their election issue and sort of gave away that base. Blue had about double the anti vaccine sentiment of the other parties, but it will still quite low (only 7% I think of our total population). Common thought was most of them defected to purple (Peoples Party if Canada).

helenabear1 hour ago

It came out in 1995. A good year for me and I remember it LOL But it took me a few more years to get the vaccine since doctors wouldn't vaccinate an adult at first. My child has never had chicken pox nor have I. I have been exposed goodness knows how many times a kid though. Just never developed it. So far it's done us both well. I do know some who had chicken pox twice IRL too. Second case was always mild much like what vaccinated kids have seen with chicken pox. I am just hoping the vaccine holds me through from getting shingles too. For now I am told not to vaccinate for it, but we'll see. Wow, I am so sorry. My MIL just had them not long ago. One on her eye and was miserable. Hope you can get vaccinated soon! A bit jealous. We had to cancel our day at Epcot for Remy. I had it all booked out and ready to go, then my brother came and visited. Dang it! I haven't had issues with smells and masks at Disney but my nose is quite over powered for scents. I'll have to ask the family if they noticed lower smells while on rides from June - if they remember.

drizgirl1 hour ago

I recall that the Chickenpox vaccine was pretty new when our 28 year old got it around age 2. He might have been in the first wave of kids being vaccinated. We had another baby by then I remember my husband saying "They don't need that. It's a rite of passage for kids to get chicken pox." We were both working full time and I just looked at him like he was nuts, wondering how awful it would be for one to get it, then the other. I asked the pediatrician if she was vaccinating her kids and when she (mother of 4) said she was, I said let's do it. By middle school there were enough kids caught up in an outbreak for 1/3 of the school to be out at once. The now 28 year old did catch it, but got a few small spots on his face with no severe itching, no fever, no discomfort. They just wouldn't let him in with any pox. Just a couple days out of school in complete comfort kicking back with mom. :) Our second never caught it at all.

TeriofTerror1 hour ago

I got my flu shot Saturday. While I was there, I discussed the shingles vaccine with the pharmacist. I plan on showing up for my vaccine on my 50th birthday. My mom had shingles, and it aged her 10 years overnight. I can't imagine why anyone would hesitate.

DisneyFan321 hour ago

I don't want federal transportation extending mask mandate into 2025 to get rid masks for public transportation, if the cases are low enough as enough people are vaccinated as kids 5-11 too by end of Winter 2022 / early Spring 2022, then masks will be gone for public transportation for USA like trains, buses, planes, cruises, etc...by Spring 2022

Disney Experience2 hours ago

When I went on Remy’s Ratatouillie Adventure early this month I did for a moment ( when they had smells ) lower my mask off my nose to breathe in the snells of food they add to some acenes. I am sure the experience will be better when masks are optional someday. The mask definitely filters out most of the smells. They should sell masks with mouse whiskers ( 3D not 2D )

jlhwdw2 hours ago

Yeah but the conversation isn't evolving. It's the same people saying the same things

dovetail652 hours ago

T That's okay it's an involved issue with things changing all the time.

jlhwdw2 hours ago

This time I left for two weeks. I come back and the exact same conversation is still going on

aliceismad2 hours ago

Anxiety-related syncope sucks. Fainting can be really scary, and that causes fear that just leads to more fainting. But there are ways to mitigate it. I would encourage your relatives to have their shots in a private office vs. a mass vaccination site if possible. I got my Moderna shots at a mass site because they weren't available at my doc's office yet. It was unnerving to not feel comfortable with who was poking me, having a room full of people around, being in a room full of people in the middle of the pandemic, etc. (The guy behind me came waltzing in with his mask under his nose, so that was great.) By comparison, doctors are always willing to let me lie down because I have a history of fainting. Also making good food choices before and after can be helpful, and having something cool for the forehead or back of the neck is a good precaution.

Heppenheimer3 hours ago

Except for one really sparsely populated county, all the other counties in Vermont are in the mid 70s or above for their eligible vaccination rates. The highest rates of infection occurred in a few small towns, but these places are so tiny that it only takes a few cases to trip their percentages higher. In sheer numbers, the Burlington area, which counts as the only real urban environment in the state (would be a mid-sized town everywhere else) has by far and away the most cases. Overall, the caseloads don't follow any particular geographic pattern. The pattern that does exist is seen on an individual level- they're mostly among the unvaccinated.

MisterPenguin3 hours ago

Yes, at one time, they required waiting two weeks after a flu or other vaccine to get a COVID vaccine. However, that is no longer the case. You can get multiple vaccinations along with COVID all at once. Just ask anyone who served in the military.

DCBaker3 hours ago