MagicBand+ to debut July 27 at Walt Disney World

Jul 21, 2022 in "MyMagic+"

MagicBand+
Posted: Thursday July 21, 2022 9:04am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has announced that its next generation of wearable tech, MagicBand+, will debut July 27 2022 at Walt Disney World.

MagicBand+ has all the same capabilities of the original MagicBand, but adds color-changing lights, haptic vibrations, and gesture recognition – plus it pairs to your smartphone using the My Disney Experience app and is rechargeable.

Disney Resort hotel guests may purchase MagicBand+ online at special prices before their arrival. Annual Passholder discounts will also be available on MagicBand+. All guests can buy MagicBand+ in more than 25 styles at select stores across Walt Disney World and online at shopDisney, starting at $34.99.

At Walt Disney World, you can purchase a MagicBand+ at the following locations:

• Magic Kingdom Park: Emporium
  • EPCOT: Pin Traders – Camera Center
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Celebrity 5 & 10 and Tatooine Traders
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park: Discovery Trading Company
  • Disney Springs: Disney’s Pin Traders
  • Select merchandise locations at Disney Resort hotels

MagicBand+ Exclusive Activities at Walt Disney World

Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters

On Batuu, the bounty hunting business is booming. MagicBand+ is your guide to seeking numerous virtual bounties hidden across Black Spire Outpost with the Star Wars: Batuu Bounty Hunters experience. Vibrations and lights on MagicBand+ guide you down the right path. When you find your Bounty, you can use the Play Disney Parks app’s augmented reality thermal viewer to reveal who’s hiding in the shadows. Local guild master Raga Bua will reward you with galactic credits. Do you have what it takes to join the guild?

Nighttime Spectaculars

MagicBand+ brings the magic of Disney nighttime spectaculars closer than ever before during “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park and “Harmonious” at EPCOT! MagicBand+ complements the magic in the skies, lighting up and vibrating in sync with fireworks, visual effects, and music. Your MagicBand+ will also engage as all four theme park icons transform into Beacons of Magic!

Disney Fab 50 Quest

As part of the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary celebration, you can interact with the Disney Fab 50 Character Collection throughout all four theme parks with the “Disney Fab 50 Quest.” Help Tinker Bell bring the sculptures to life across all four Walt Disney World theme parks using virtual pixie dust from Tink.

helenabear20 days ago

Newer apple watches yes, older no. It's software stopping Android watches afaik, but as a whole phones can do pretty much all functions including opening the door through the MDE app. I've had issues with photos coming in using only my phone but I plan to retry again to see at some point. I do plan to have a MB+ puck with me to make sure though so that's not a big deal. I'm not a fan of wearing magic bands as a whole and tend to leave my smart watch at home and just carry a fitbit due to unsightly tan lines from large watches on a tiny wrist ;)

JaxFLBear21 days ago

An Apple Watch (series 3 and newer) can replace a MagicBand for many functions, but not all. An Apple Watch can't (currently) be used to unlock any doors or gates at your Disney Resort. An Apple Watch can be used for park entry, Lightening Lane entry, room charging & manual photo linking. NFC Android smartwatches are not (currently) supported.

KeithVH23 days ago

After 76 pages, I'm looking for the TL;DR version of what I'm wondering - with them utilizing some aspect(s) of NFC, can an Apple watch be sit to mimic the capabilities of an MB now? Since NFC is platform agnostic, what about Android watches?

RSoxNo129 days ago

Hey, remember that idea we had to synchronize Mouse Ears with the nighttime entertainment? Yeah... It failed miserably because nobody bought them and it kind of looked dumb when less than 1% of the crowd was wearing them. Ok... but what if we made them more expensive and smaller and on your wrist instead? ...

Prince-129 days ago

You do not need one. You can get in the park different ways without one, purchase things without one, and get into your hotel room (if you are staying on property) without one.

DCBaker29 days ago

A new Pixar Holiday MagicBand+ design has been loaded onto the discount page for APs and Resort guests. You can find it here - https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/bands-cards/

jpedenOct 24, 2022

Before I bought my MB+!I kept my old magic band in my pocket and used my Apple Watch for everything except parking and charging to the room (we also use gift cards) so no, you don’t need to wear one.

ilovetotravel1977Oct 24, 2022

This is "old" magicband related. If we not using G+ and charging stuff to our room (using WDW gift cards instead), do we really need to bother wearing one? I know we can use it for park entry, opening our room, but a regular pass card will do that too. Just trying to decide whether we need to bother wearing one everyday.

JoeCamelOct 23, 2022

Hmmmm, sounds like an aftermarket opportunity

RememberWhenOct 22, 2022

We had that problem too. My wife and I kept dropping ours. My son lost his completely. We kept our daughter’s in a pocket.

MagicHappens1971Oct 22, 2022

I feel this way

jpedenOct 22, 2022

Does anyone feel like the MB+ falls off your wrist more than the OG bands? My old ones never fell off but I’ve had my MB+ for two days and it keeps falling off.

SquishyOct 22, 2022

Somehow MagicBand+ seems to be better synced to the shows at Disneyland?

DCBakerOct 17, 2022

A few new MagicBand+ designs have appeared on ShopDisney - a couple of them were already on the discounted Magicband+ page for Resort Guests/Annual Passholders and some have also already been available in the parks. The Tiana band has also hit a new high of $59.99.