Walt Disney World's MagicMobile coming to Android April 2021

Apr 08, 2021 in "MyMagic+"

Posted: Thursday April 8, 2021 12:39pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

In a travel agent briefing today, Disney confirmed that its MagicMobile service will be coming to Android users later in April 2021 following the initial rollout to Apple devices.

Disney MagicMobile service is a convenient and contactless way to access MagicBand features like theme park entry through the power of your own devices. Most features are available by just holding up your smart device near an access point, just like you do with a MagicBand. You can choose to use Disney MagicMobile service or a MagicBand, and can alternate between the two for added flexibility.

Current functionality includes:

• Enter theme parks (with a valid theme park reservation and valid admission)
  • Enter parking lots
  • Connect Disney PhotoPass images to your account
  • Gain access to the virtual queue for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
  • Access to Magical Express

You can read more about setting up MagicMobile in our earlier guide.

drnilescrane6 days ago

So… Apple fixed it. In iOS 15 you will be able to unlock the hotel room using NFC. Note that WDW is a launch partner for this too:

donsullivan25 days ago

That functionality for park admission was available immediately when they launched the feature. What had been delayed was an update for the software on the handheld units used at areas like parking. In those locations, during the early weeks you had to present the QR code generated by the MDE app. Based on my experience on Sunday at Epcot, that software has now been updated and the NFC is working on those handheld readers as well so you can just present the phone or watch and they scan it the same way they would a Magicband.

Jon81uk25 days ago

No all MobileMagic does is let you add your park ticket to the wallet app on your phone. As long as you have some other ticket media (card or magic band) then you are okay.

Jon81uk25 days ago

You can’t turn NFC off on Apple devices, the phone/watch manages it.

larryz25 days ago

More evidence that Disney's new slogan is, "Make Your Own Magic!™ "

Gillyanne25 days ago

It uses NFC doesn't it? Like mobile wallets? I wonder if they've had too many people w/o their NFC on. I don't use mobile wallets for anything, so mine is usually turned off (android phone, don't have a smart watch capable of NFC) The 1 time I tried to use a mobile wallet at a store (the only way I could think to use some electronic credit card rebate as a partial payment) it didn't work at first, so I thought it was just a loss. After a while I realized, "wait I don't use this function" and turned it on and boom it worked. If I were to use the mobile magic, I'd have to remember to turn it on for my visit(s) and/or upgrade my smart watch to one that has it... Still debating if it's worth activating it for me.

Nickp198326 days ago

That's good. Entire thing confused the hell out of me. I say the ride should be figured out via death match inside the arena that was in Episode 2.

DCBaker26 days ago

No. Just the MDE app (My Disney Experience).

Nickp198326 days ago

Question. Do I need mobile magic to do Rise of Resistance. I'm so confused on how to get on that ride.

note200126 days ago

Wasn't going to as I have so many already, but just picked up my final free MB. Why not? I figure I've paid for it with my pass and the battery in there will be newer than the last one I have from 2018.

MrPromey26 days ago

Always a nice thing when frontline cast are unaware of this kind of stuff, eh? ... seriously, this seems like the sort of thing they should have told them about before it was added. 🙄

vikescaper26 days ago

I’m not sure how it works on all devices but I was able to use my Apple Watch just like I would at the gate. The cast member wasn’t sure if it would work but it did. I had the QR code ready to go, though.

EdnaMode26 days ago

"As more Annual Passholders return to the parks, we will no longer be renewing Annual Passes. As part of this new service, former Annual Passholders can choose from several electronic day-ticket options with park reservations that are served up from our smallest buckets ever!! Former Annual Passholders will no doubt appreciate our exciting new upcharges for Orange Bird-themed electronic day-tickets and for our new "Bus to Nowhere"TM service for Apple or Android products that need recharging at mid-morning and/or early evening. This elevated level of service gets families out of the parks when they are at their most crowded, and it's as simple as boarding any air-conditioned bus from any theme park and then remaining on board while using charging stations until your bus returns to your park! Thank you, former Annual Passholders, for being former members of our Passholder family!" /s

WondersOfLife26 days ago

They secretly took care of that by adding parking fees to all the disney hotels.