Disney overhauls Disability Access Service with Genie adding new features and will permanently ban from the parks anyone abusing the system

Aug 18, 2021 in "Disney Genie"

Posted: Wednesday August 18, 2021 5:20pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disability Access Service (DAS) will get a major overhaul with the arrival of Disney Genie later this year.

Guests will be able to register for the service via video chat up to 30 days before arrival and will be able to select 2 experience per day via the DAS Advance planning option.

In addition, once at the park, instead of of having to physically go to an experience or to a kiosk to obtain a return time from a Cast Member, Guests registered in the DAS program (and their party members) will be able to make return time selections right from the My Disney Experience app during the day of a park visit.

Disney has also moved to address abuse to the system by making it clear that any false information given to obtain a DAS will not be tolerated. In a DAS FAQ on the official Disney site, the company states, "If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded."

You can read more about the new DAS offerings at the official Disney site.

G00fyDad8 days ago

At least one person out there has it then. The person that wrote the program.

nickys8 days ago

I believe someone has tried this. But it got a lot of kick back because you have to give the app your MDE log-in details. That made it a no-no for everyone I saw discussing it.

G00fyDad8 days ago

Great. You just gave them the idea to add a bot detector to the app. Now we will have to click "I'm not a robot" check box and choose all the crosswalks, busses, boats, or Mickeys. :rolleyes: (/sarcasm)

MickeyLuv'r8 days ago

I thought you'd read enough of my posts to remember me. My bad. Vying for G+, ILL's and Boarding Groups are somewhat all the same. They are all a kind of gamble. It is a lot like playing a slot machine. Or perhaps I should liken it to the carnival games in AK's Dinoland. If you win, you can keep the small prize, or players can keep playing in hopes of winning the bigger stuffed animal at $5 a pop. With G+, gamblers might get a better time, or they might get an even less preferred return time. When I got a low number boarding group, it strongly made me think of an electronic slot machine. And that was back when I was vying for a Rise BG, back in 2019. Now getting passes resembles gambling/gaming even more than it did back then.

MickeyLuv'r8 days ago

I agree having no ADR's and maximum (schedule) flexibility are ways to be more successful with G+ (and ILL's, BG), and that we should use this forum to discuss both the good and bad of the new pass system. For now, it is what it is, so we should figure out how to work with it (or work around it). We need a shorthand term that covers all 3! G+/ILL/BG is annoying to type out. Can I call it "FP3"?

mikejs788 days ago

Pretty sure Disney would shut down any program that did stuff automatically like that...

Patcheslee8 days ago

Wonder if it's possible to create an app that would tie into the Genie+ and book for people. Say select the attractions and possibly 2hr time ranges that would be acceptable for each, priority, and it do the rest. Pretty much let a computer go the refresh routine.

nickys8 days ago

My post was in response to this line: It’s clear that not everyone does know that. I had no way of knowing if you did or not. It read to me that you thought getting both was the lottery.

MickeyLuv'r9 days ago

I assumed we all know both of the above, and not really relevant. I was abbreviating. Booking an acceptable Genie+, ILL or a Boarding Group Pass triggers chemical reactions in our body. The the sake of brevity, I'm going to shorten "acceptable Genie+, ILL or a Boarding Group Pass" to the much shorter "G+." All 3 are examples of something called reward uncertainty. The odd thing is, a big part of what we enjoy is the uncertainty. If we want a mammal to learn a skill, the most effective approach is a periodic reward. WDW has added a new layer to park visits that is very akin to gambling or playing a game. From the NIH study cited below: Studies have shown that reward uncertainty rather than reward per se, will magnify mesolimbic dopamine, both in monkeys and healthy human participants. People often describe gambling as a pleasant activity rather than as an opportunity to gain money. Chemical release is highest in gamblers when the odds of winning/losing are about 50%/50%. According to Greg Costikyan, an award-winning game designer, games cannot hold our interest in the absence of uncertainty—which can take many forms, occurring in the outcome, the game's path, analytical complexity, perception, and so on. Discussing the game of Tic-Tac-Toe, Costikyan (p. 10) notes that this game is dull for anyone beyond a certain age because its solution is trivial. The reason why children play this game with enjoyment is that they do not understand that the game has an optimal strategy; for children, the game of Tic-Tac-Toe produces an uncertain outcome. A predictable game is dull, just like a detective novel for which the identity of the murderer is known in advance. Based on this assumption, Zack and Poulos (2009) note that several payoff schedules (slot machines, roulette, and dice game of craps) have a probability of winning close to 50%, so that they are expected to elicit maximal DA release and, therefore, reinforce the act of gambling. Individuals are playing to play rather than to win, and monetary wins are conceived as the opportunity to extend the duration of play, rather than the game's main objective. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3845016/ So this is what meant in line 2 of my previous post when I said G+ was like gambling. I hope that clarifies.

GhostHost10009 days ago

crazy4disney9 days ago

i truly dk why it doesnt allow you to choose time slots it can only benefit the system by spreading out what people choose and with the 2 hour booking windows even if some gets the park late how many rides can they really have "stacked" especially during busy times

DisneyDreamer089 days ago

I don’t think there’s any one time of day that would please everyone in regards to booking time. If they let you choose a return time however, I think that would satisfy most people. I used Genie solo back in January and that was one of my biggest peeve. My other biggest annoyance was just randomly being booted out or the screen freezing during those first few precious minutes at 7am.

crazy4disney9 days ago

Listen. I have no issues w 60 days out lol. Trust me. Im a huge fan if FP+. Never had any issues at all and im booking my dining that far out anyways but the 7am fiasco stinks and the other improvement that has to be made is once you book a Genie. It doesnt show you current available time slot forthatatrraction to try andrebook etc

mikejs789 days ago

Personally I think a week before would be ideal.