Patina job listing suggests February 2020 opening for Space 220 at Epcot

Nov 22, 2019 in "Space 220 Restaurant"

Posted: Friday November 22, 2019 3:18pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

A recent job posting by Patina Restaurant Group, the operator of the upcoming Space 220 restaurant at Epcot, suggests an opening of the new restaurant in early 2020.

The listing indicates training to begin in January 2020, with a launch of the restaurant in February 2020.

Construction on the restaurant began back in July 2018, and promises a culinary experience featuring the celestial panorama of a space station, including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up.

You’ll board a special elevator for a journey to a space station, and along the way, viewports will give you a real-time perspective as you travel high above the planet.

Here is the job listing from Patina.

Mission Control invites you to join the crew at Space 220 for an expedition like no other. The planets have aligned for you to be a part of the latest cutting-edge and out-of-this-world restaurant. Help ensure a smooth departure as guests blast off to enter the International Space Station suspended 220 miles above the Earth’s surface and assist in delivering an unmatched intergalactic dining experience. With stellar views and gourmet menu offerings, Space 220 is truly “The Height of Dining.”

The Opportunity
Space 220 plans to launch in February 2020 and we're looking for Bartenders to join our crew and start training in January. Our ideal Bartenders are experienced cocktail makers and beer pourers, you have great interpersonal skills, are excited about contributing to a team, and are dedicated to creating a memorable guest experience.

MansionButler84Less than a minute ago

I am beginning to think SpaceX will be able to fly us to a restaurant in space before this opens m

Crunchie92 minutes ago

I am beginning to to think it will not be open in time for my December 2019 trip.

mhochman1 hour ago

I'm beginning to think I won't have the opportunity to try this place during my summer trip.

mhochman12 days ago

The "it's" I was referring to was Disney's control, not the actual opening date.

CastAStone12 days ago

Indeed. And Delaware North (who owns Patina) was ROCKED by the pandemic. Most of their business is operating F&B at sports venues and office cafeterias. Not exactly businesses operating on a carside-to-go model right now. And frankly, with all of the festivals, neither can restaurants at Epcot right now. So I’m guessing they’ll push to delay as long as possible, since opening at 30-50% capacity is almost certainly a money loser.

danlb_200012 days ago

But the pandemic likely invalidated things in the contract. For example if there was required "open by date" the pandemic could have invalidated that.

Patcheslee12 days ago

I'm wondering if the "space lift" design, may not be practical in with the social distancing. Would they open without that feature? Or is it a functional 1 story lift?

nickys12 days ago

That contract has been in place for years, literally! No way would it spell out an opening date. It might well specify that Disney will confirm the planned opening, but I doubt it allows for unlimited changes of mind! I’m sure the parks closure resulted in some renegotiation too, since any previous agreement would have been affected.

mhochman12 days ago

Purely speculating, but I would imagine Disney has control over anything like that and I'm sure it's written into their contract.

nickys12 days ago

Would it be Disney or Patina who have the final say on when it opens? Obviously it can’t open until Patina have staff who have been trained, which I don’t think had happened yet - but I could be wrong. But when Patina either say “We’re ready” or “We’ll be ready on June 1st”, can Disney say “We want you to wait until Oct 1st” ?

mhochman12 days ago

Right, which makes you wonder, why no opening date. It should be ready. I'm sure it could be ready very soon if they wanted it to be. Maybe the above poster is right, maybe they're waiting for Rat.

wdwmagic12 days ago

Construction resumed on that project even during the COVID shutdown, but on a slower pace due to the COVID restrictions and the reduced workforce able to be onsite. So things have definitely happened on the inside, and they were not that far off even then.

mhochman12 days ago

I've said this already in this thread, but I can't ever remember a project showing this little progress with this little info. It HAS to be that there is nothing happening inside.

ppete197513 days ago

Im thinking they open it when rat opens... but thats a guess