Star Wars Galaxy's Edge media blitz begins tomorrow on Disney's TV channels

Sep 25, 2019 in "Star Wars Galaxy's Edge"

Disney will be launching a Star Wars Galaxy's Edge media blitz tomorrow with segments across the company's TV channels.

Good Morning America will be showing an exclusive sneak peek into the highly-anticipated attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance - opening December 5 at Walt Disney World Resort. Later in the week, Freeform will premiere “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Adventure Awaits” - a 2 hour special on the land.

Here is a run-down of the programming.

Thursday September 26 2019

• “Good Morning America” - 7am ET
  • “The View” - 11am ET
  • “Tamron Hall” (check your local listings)
  • “Strahan, Sara & Keke” - 1pm ET
  • “Nightline” (check your local listings)

Sunday September 29 2019

•  “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Adventure Awaits” - 8pm ET on Freeform

Freeform will give viewers an exciting behind-the-scenes look at the new lands at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in Southern California with a two-hour special, “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – Adventure Awaits,” premiering SUNDAY, SEPT. 29, at 8 p.m. EDT. Hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, the immersive and exclusive television event will allow audiences to explore the epic new lands and learn more about how this new planet of Batuu came to life. With celebrity guests including Kaley Cuoco, Keegan-Michael Key, Jay Leno, Sarah Hyland, Miles Brown and more, Walt Disney Imagineers and Disney Cast Members share how they helped bring Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to life with fascinating insider details.

The special will follow Neil Patrick Harris as he meets up with Keegan-Michael Key for some laughs in Oga’s Cantina and takes a tour of Batuu. Sarah Hyland learns about the tensions between the First Order and the Resistance and creates her own droid at the Droid Depot. Jay Leno explores Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, inside and out, and Kaley Cuoco takes a special sneak peek inside the incredible upcoming attraction, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.

Article Posted: Sep 25, 2019 / 9:44am ET

Movielover17 days ago

I understand that I feel that its the thing that feels the most lacking in the land. I want as many costumed CM's and droids as possible. I was lucky in my visit to have a great interaction with both Vi and Rey, Plus the Stormtroopers confronted me as I was exiting Savi's. If they can work more of these interactions in the land will feel more complete than it already is. Saying that I did have a couple wonderful interactions with the regular CM's in the land that were really trying their hardest to be in character, and they never came off as "forced" or "reading a script". It may have helped that I was wearing my Rebel Legion shirt, kind of stand out wearing that lol. I spent 3 days in Hollywood Studies and I was having a blast finding all the little details and theming in the land. As a Resistance Pilot cosplayer I know I was annoying the people in the Rise line behind me because I kept stopping every foot and taking more pictures haha.

yensidtlaw196917 days ago

Oh I didn't miss those details - my post was not meant to be a comprehensive list. I've been lucky to catch the Dianoga more than once (I say lucky because I've several times found myself waiting to see it, only for it to be too shy). It's fun enough, but hardly substantial. The land should be absolutely brimming with features like it. Like I said, "so much of it" lacks practical magic, not all of it. Between extensive reading and discussion of its offerings and now a good several visits to both the East and West locations, I feel comfortable saying I'm familiar with likely all of the land's offerings and have experienced each of them now more than once. And I do find myself enjoying the land for what it is - Rise is of course great, and it was fun watching the films last year and having the reverse experience of Star Wars fans, finding many details of Galaxy's Edge sourced back to their filmic origins rather than the other way around. That said, there are (or, were) more "Citizens of Main Street" than there are "Citizens of Batuu", if you count those employed by Entertainment and not the CM's who have simply been encouraged to play up their "Batuu-ness". And then Main Street also offers more kinetics and vitality in a tigher concentration - Galaxy's Edge has less and spread out over a sprawling area. Main Street's elements conspire to make you feel like you've arrived in town on the first day of Spring and people are reveling - Batuu largely feels like everywhere you go the most interesting character who might have occupied that space has just stepped out. There are exceptions, which I began to note, but too few. The cast of Galaxy's Edge almost necessarily must be different from Main Street, at least in part given droids and creatures, and I get there's a financial burden to that, but that's what they announced they'd be building at the outset and then failed to deliver. I'm not even insisting the land is bad, in case it sounds like it, just that it misses the mark the way the sequel trilogies do - it forgets to lean heavily into the very thing that made the franchise what it is in the first place.

Movielover17 days ago

There are a ton of smaller details you might have missed, like the Dianoga AA in the water tank in the marketplace. Plus many of the scenes have movement and sound triggered by hacking through the app. Now I would prefer these triggered events did not rely on the app to activate but the land is far from a "empty movie set". I'm sorry you did not get the full experience out of it.

BrianLo17 days ago

Galaxy's Edge is a "Season of the Force" Event away from being much better. Kind of ironic that splashing all those things over the park in 2015, is what the final product missed out on.

Animaniac93-9817 days ago

Disney marketed it as "live your Star Wars adventure". Except the place is empty and you're not allowed to play dress up or use the expensive toys sold in the land. So what you're left with are two rides and a cantina with not enough capacity to meet demand. Neither the best use of space, or the best Star Wars experience. If the Paris version gets built, it will really emphasize this by taking the best elements of GE, but only using a fraction of the acreage.

yensidtlaw196917 days ago

Having never really been a big Star Wars guy, I sat down last march and watched all the movies in the order which they were released - I was kind of stunned, they sort of all have major issues, but for me the big win with the first trilogy is how cool it is to look at and how surprisingly good it looks. There's some bad writing and some even worse acting, but the "world" of the films is both compelling and convincing, which is something practically none of the other films quite captured. One of the big problems for me with the sequel trilogy was how forced the characters felt - they rarely got a chance to actually behave like people, and the cadence of the movies seems to push them on you like an over-eager parent; "Oh look, there's Rey! You LOVE Rey!" "Look, Kylo Ren! Ooooh, he's so baaad". . . Well, actually, I haven't really gotten to know them yet. And any chance they get the old characters seem to fall over themselves paying homage to the original characters who came back instead of actually interacting with them. That said, Last Jedi was the most interesting to me of the sequels simply because it shook up the very clear formula that all the other movies had been following. But then Rise of Skywalker veered hard to "course correct", which was disappointing. And they all still relied way too much on CGI, even though they did make use of some great, new, practical effects. But the BIGGEST take away for me, as someone who loves themed entertainment much more than I love Star Wars, was how conceptually EASY it should have been to translate the thrill of the first trilogy and the best parts of the others into a themed environment - to me it was very clear that the absolute hallmark of Star Wars was its stunning Practical Effects, which is EXACTLY what a themed land IS. Rise of the Resistance generally does a good job making use of this, and I think that's the biggest secret to it's success - it's very frequently a parade of really good practical effects, and isn't bogged down by its use of characters the way the sequels are. It makes pretty efficient use of them and doesn't really take them *too* seriously. But even then, things like the Projected Storm Troopers take you out of it the same way the overuse of CGI takes you out of the prequels. Replacing those with actual AA's, even less-dynamic ones, would have been much more effective and captured the essence of Star Wars. I think that's really a big part of why everyone was so wowed by the Model of Galaxy's Edge but disappointed in the actual land - the Model highlighted the practical elements of the experience, but when you actually get into the land they skimp on the meat. The whole thing looks great at first glance, but when you discover there's not really any "there" there, the sheen wears off quickly. Smuggler's Run is a CGI gamefest and it feels like it - you never really feel like you're "in" Star Wars once the ride actually starts. The queue and the Falcon holding area are the best parts - Hondo too, but what a waste having that projected Millennium Falcon landing behind him. You don't believe it for a second, and same with the ride itself. I find myself spending time in Dok Ondar's any time I'm there - not because I care about the merch, but it's full of interesting properties and the AA is fun to encounter. DJ Rex does the same at the Cantina . . . but then, what else are we excited to run into? This land should be full of Practical "Magic", and instead so much of it feels like an empty movie set. A day on a movie set is generally cooler than a day not on one, but if we're really meant to believe in this place it needs to come to life the way the sets in the movie do - because of the crazy creatures and effects that populate them. Rise mostly gets it right. The rest of the land? It misses the magic of the OG movies the same way the prequels and sequels do. I could care less if Luke and Leia were there with me, but you've got to make me feel like I'm somewhere they could have gone to, you know? I should be able to walk into any part of it and feel like I can't believe what I'm seeing. That was the Star Wars "hook" for me. Galaxy's Edge is, for the most part, decidedly and disappointingly believable. The land and the newer movies suffer the same ills - too rarely am I amazed by what I'm seeing in front of me.

GimpYancIent17 days ago

It has been tested now it needs to be implemented. Droids roaming about interacting with the guests. Not a lot to ask for.

marni197118 days ago

Me too.

Robbiem18 days ago

I’m in the minority with you. I might be old school star wars but I enjoyed Solo and Rogue One much more than the sequel movies

lee.moles.disney18 days ago

Even long term that can be changed out easily enough and you can tell from the way it’s built. Reys hologram, all the video clips, storm trooper heads and Kylo Ren can be swapped out

DHSfanatic18 days ago

I guess I'm in the majority in hating The Last Jedi but in the minority in liking Solo. Not that it couldn't have been better and, yeah, the Solo character doesn't remotely seem like a younger version of the Solo in the original triology. But judged as a standalone movie, I think it's pretty entertaining.

Movielover19 days ago

I would have to politely disagree. There are tons of details and nods to the Star Wars Universe in the land.

MatheusPG19 days ago

I think that it is a fun land, but not a good "Star Wars Land".

HauntedPirate19 days ago

I wouldn’t even call GE “well-themed”, I’d call it “highly detailed”.