Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening season confirmed for Walt Disney World

May 23, 2018 in "Star Wars Galaxy's Edge"

Posted: Wednesday May 23, 2018 8:00am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has today announced that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will officially open in Walt Disney World late fall 2019.

The new land is currently under construction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, and will boast two E-ticket attractions - a battle escape, and a flight aboard the Millennium Falcon.

The Disneyland Resort version of the land will open first, in summer 2019.

TrainChasers7 days ago

Interesting images released as part of the new book. It looks like many of those closed doors were supposed to open for droid / interactive experiences?

Jones147 days ago

The difference, I think, is that Williams didn’t write anything new for the Wizarding World lands, and if I’m remembering correctly it was up to WB at that point as to what and when music could be played in each area. Galaxy’s Edge features music made/arranged specifically for it, so Williams would’ve been more involved with the process throughout than he would’ve been for Harry Potter. Again, it’s total speculation on my part, but the way music ended up in the land feels very in line with the way Williams treats it in his movies, and we know he was around for the development of the project.

Movielover8 days ago

I would probably lean more towards the Imagineers than Williams considering his music is all over The Wizarding World, including his cut Diagon Ally score from Sorcerer's Stone which ended up only in the post credit scene of Chamber of Secrets.

Jones149 days ago

John Williams likely had a hand in limiting the amount of music in the land. He’s known for keeping things surprisingly sparse (even in Star Wars) so that the music that is there is more purposeful and impactful. Steven Spielberg even pointed out the pattern when presenting an award to him a few years back, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was the one who made that call (or suggested it, etc) during the land’s development.

Old Mouseketeer10 days ago

What a shame they have so little original Star Wars music to draw on. If only they had dozens of hours of soaring, award-winning music by one of the legends of Hollywood. Why, George Lucas, why?

mergatroid11 days ago

I think it would be nice if they added some background music to the land. At least give it a try?

pdude8113 days ago

That would be a big improvement IMO, with or without social distancing. That front area would be fine if it really was just a waiting area for a larger restaurant like the early rumors indicated. But either way it could use some reworking until or unless they are sure that people will be comfortable sharing tables with strangers unmasked. It looks like there is a nice area they could expand into behind the Cantina if they chose to, but I won't hold my breath waiting. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Disney's+Hollywood+Studios/@28.3539263,-81.562366,73m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xbbffcea336e3f10f!8m2!3d28.3616941!4d-81.5549243

danlb_200013 days ago

Saw this permit today. Expanding seating for the cantina? 396 CYPRESS DR(STAR WARS: GALAXY EDGE CANTINA) - Fabricate and install tables

MagicHappens197130 days ago

Or maybe the droids they built to roam around in the land that Chapek cut at the last minute?

Old Mouseketeer31 days ago

I think it will be interesting to see how they stage the characters. They already have Kylo and the FO Officer on the stage where Kylo's ship is. They have 'troopers on the metal stage over the 'speeder garage and Chewie fixing the ship across from RotR. I wonder if any of the bridges are practical for performers. There is also a balcony over the left side of lightsabers. My friend in Entertainment says they are recalling performers and support for SW:GE, but no indication of what characters will be out. I don't believe they are including Royal Hall or Toontown right now. And no word if there will be an impromptu Cavalcade like WDW.

Ismael Flores31 days ago

Its weird that they would change something that maybe most people would not notice, lets hope that they are working on maybe adding some droids in the queue area of Falcon. Someone needs to go thru their wherehouses and find old skeletons of older animatronics that can be reskinned and placed throughout the land. Not everything has to be multi-million dollar advanced AA's, they just need to make the land feel more alive. While they are at it i still think they need to add more stalls around the market area walkways, let the market feel spill out of the large structure into the side walkway. The same way real market places look like.

sedati31 days ago

From Bioreconstruct's latest aerials. Looks like the cargo ship's windshield has been removed. It was opaque and didn't look that great, so maybe they're replacing it. Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

MovieloverFeb 15, 2021

I understand that I feel that its the thing that feels the most lacking in the land. I want as many costumed CM's and droids as possible. I was lucky in my visit to have a great interaction with both Vi and Rey, Plus the Stormtroopers confronted me as I was exiting Savi's. If they can work more of these interactions in the land will feel more complete than it already is. Saying that I did have a couple wonderful interactions with the regular CM's in the land that were really trying their hardest to be in character, and they never came off as "forced" or "reading a script". It may have helped that I was wearing my Rebel Legion shirt, kind of stand out wearing that lol. I spent 3 days in Hollywood Studies and I was having a blast finding all the little details and theming in the land. As a Resistance Pilot cosplayer I know I was annoying the people in the Rise line behind me because I kept stopping every foot and taking more pictures haha.

yensidtlaw1969Feb 15, 2021

Oh I didn't miss those details - my post was not meant to be a comprehensive list. I've been lucky to catch the Dianoga more than once (I say lucky because I've several times found myself waiting to see it, only for it to be too shy). It's fun enough, but hardly substantial. The land should be absolutely brimming with features like it. Like I said, "so much of it" lacks practical magic, not all of it. Between extensive reading and discussion of its offerings and now a good several visits to both the East and West locations, I feel comfortable saying I'm familiar with likely all of the land's offerings and have experienced each of them now more than once. And I do find myself enjoying the land for what it is - Rise is of course great, and it was fun watching the films last year and having the reverse experience of Star Wars fans, finding many details of Galaxy's Edge sourced back to their filmic origins rather than the other way around. That said, there are (or, were) more "Citizens of Main Street" than there are "Citizens of Batuu", if you count those employed by Entertainment and not the CM's who have simply been encouraged to play up their "Batuu-ness". And then Main Street also offers more kinetics and vitality in a tigher concentration - Galaxy's Edge has less and spread out over a sprawling area. Main Street's elements conspire to make you feel like you've arrived in town on the first day of Spring and people are reveling - Batuu largely feels like everywhere you go the most interesting character who might have occupied that space has just stepped out. There are exceptions, which I began to note, but too few. The cast of Galaxy's Edge almost necessarily must be different from Main Street, at least in part given droids and creatures, and I get there's a financial burden to that, but that's what they announced they'd be building at the outset and then failed to deliver. I'm not even insisting the land is bad, in case it sounds like it, just that it misses the mark the way the sequel trilogies do - it forgets to lean heavily into the very thing that made the franchise what it is in the first place.