Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed to open in 2019 at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Feb 12, 2018 in "Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway"

Posted: Monday February 12, 2018 10:26pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

During D23 Expo Japan 2018, Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts announced that Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will open in 2019 at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature a new catchy theme song created especially for the attraction as well as a new experience that defies logic that Disney is calling 2 ½-D. No glasses required.

On the attraction, the fun begins when you see the premiere of a new cartoon short with Mickey and Minnie getting ready for a picnic. As they head out, they drive alongside a train and find out that the engineer is Goofy. Then, one magical moment lets you step into the movie and on Goofy’s train for a wacky, wild ride.

Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will put you inside the wacky and unpredictable world of a Mickey Mouse Cartoon Short where you’re the star and anything can happen.

AL2000HS2 hours ago

Problem with theming floors is the upkeep. You have maint and cms walking through it daily. Not to mention guests if the ride breaks down. Or if someone spills something/gets sick. Easier to hide with just a black floor than painted. Plus being trackless you would be able to see the layout of the vehicles overtime

yensidtlaw19695 hours ago

Speaking of twilight, I wonder if a look like this might have helped disguise the ceiling better while still allowing for a whiz-bang transformation of the room: I didn't even change the color or brightness of the ceiling, just changed how the other colors are relative to it. Compared to how the room actually looks: (It's a quick pass, so don't judge me TOO harshly - squint and you get the idea)

yensidtlaw19696 hours ago

At times it's rather like a Widescreen movie, where the top and bottom of the field of view are blacked out. The problem with that is 1) As you said, they're not consistent with it, and 2) That's not a solid approach to making guests feel genuinely immersed in a new world. It feels like many of the rooms simply stretch a movie screen most of the way around a room, throw in some props (and occassionally an Animatronic) and call it a scene. But above and below the "movie screen"? Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain . . .

egg7 hours ago

The biggest problem IMO is that the riders’ attention is drawn to the floor when the vehicle leaves the track, but then the floor is immediately abandoned as part of the theming.

Touchdown9 hours ago

I get what your saying and agree they could be improved but honestly the only place where it’s bothered me is the western scene. That is the only place where my eye are drawn upwards and it breaks the illusion, mainly because that scene starts very slow. Every other scene is so chaotic with so much going on it’s never bothered me, but I still see your point.

yensidtlaw19699 hours ago

Perhaps - it's still a bit much for my liking, but it is what it is. There are a lot of things I'd put on my list for improving Runaway Railway if I was given the chance to start fresh, but if I were asked to go in and improve the current build at DHS I'd probably put every penny given towards making those ceilings disappear. For me they just kill any impression that we're actually where we're supposed to feel like we are. Makes the space feel less like a showSCENE and more like a showROOM, you know?

Touchdown9 hours ago

Also with the factory it makes sense that it had a roof at first (it’s a factory) and then it transitions to twlight so it kid of works there.

yensidtlaw19699 hours ago

Yes, that's one of the problems I was referring to earlier when I said paint would help in *most* scenes. The transformation in the Boiler Room is similar. Those are both rooms where a fully projection mapped ceiling would make that much more of a difference, but alas.

Touchdown9 hours ago

Just remember in the sea shot, straight painting wouldn’t work because the sky/water color changes twice (clear sky to red from volcano and then ocean blue.)

yensidtlaw196912 hours ago

Hence why I led with a Photoshop showing the current ceiling simply painted to match the sky - it WOULD be a real investment to turn every room into essentially a full projector dome, but I think some sky-colored paint instead of black on the ceiling would have solved more headaches than it would have caused. I'd *prefer* a fully mapped dome, but I'd settle for the paint.

UNCgolf12 hours ago

That was one of the very first things I noticed. I can't believe they thought that was acceptable.

HauntedPirate12 hours ago

So something that could have been handled better with a new building instead of shoehorning MMRR into an existing building. ;)

TikibirdLand12 hours ago

Along those lines, has anyone noticed how Goofy, looking out the back of the engine, doesn't fill the opening? The screen is square and the opening has an arch. Every time I see that, it's pretty glaring.

lazyboy97o13 hours ago

You jest but ceilings in dark rides are difficult and expensive. Ceilings are part of how a building and, more importantly, the people inside are protected from fires. Dark rides need a ceiling with a lot of holes in it for things like show lighting or, in the case of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway, projectors. The end result is that you would have to double up on things like smoke detectors and sprinklers, some up high above the ceiling and some right there on that ceiling you’re trying to make part of the show. It’s more expensive stuff that you have to fit in an already crowded attic space. It’s a place that people aren’t supposed to look so it’s an easy thing to cut and not deal with the headaches.