Head salesman first to be removed from the Jungle Cruise as rework gets underway

Apr 05, 2021 in "Jungle Cruise"

Posted: Monday April 5, 2021 8:46am ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Work is now officially underway on the changes to the Jungle Cruise at Magic Kingdom, with "head salesman" Trader Sam being the first to go.

Imagineer Zach Riddley posted over the weekend that guests may start to notice some "monkey business along the river," and right on cue, we see the first signs of that today. Obviously sales have been shrinking for Trader Sam over the past decades, so his removal is hardly a surprise.

The changes and additions will be incorporated in phases over the next couple of months, and it will not result in any closure of the ride.

Learn more about the upcoming changes to the Jungle Cruise.

Disney announced back in January 2021 that it plans to update the Jungle Cruise with new additions to add "more humor, wildlife and skipper heart – and also reflect and value the diversity of the world around us."

Disney has not yet offered a timeline of when the changes will be completed, but has indicated that it will be coming "later this year."

zakattack991 day ago

No idea like I said just saw this on Twitter. If true my only guess is that Ziploc pitched a fit about being thrown under the bus twice with Splash. First being negatively portrayed when Disney announced that they would ban plastics the day after Ziploc announced their sponsorship. And second Disney branding the ride they sponsor racist with Splash. So this is What they agreed to to help smooth everything over. Like I said no idea if true but this is my 2 cents.

James Alucobond1 day ago

Pre-emptive IP inclusion. Frozen 3 is going to be about Elsa running afoul of big refrigeration and storage because of her ice powers.

Notes from Neverland1 day ago

Did their Splash Mountain sponsorship expire? That one at least made a little sense...

zakattack991 day ago

Popped up on my Twitter. Is this new?

Incomudro1 day ago

Generally, I agree with what you said here - and will often say things like this myself. But given the trend, I'm not optimistic. I'd prefer to be wrong.

Bocabear1 day ago

WDW's Adventureland Entrance has always been less interesting than it's counterpart in California... But they did used to have torches around the entrance at night which were beautiful...Those are gone now, and the entrance is just a bare arbor... It would have been nice to have reconstructed it more like the Disneyland Entrance... More evocative of adventure than an arbor with stuff tied to it.... and the hut roofs on either side would have provided a little shade and shelter during rainstorms.

LittleBuford2 days ago

Maybe it's wise to wait for the project's completion before jumping to conclusions.

Archie1232 days ago

I'm guessing a guy drew that picture.

Incomudro2 days ago

Nothing spells adventure like the letters "Adventure." We'll just imagine what that means.

Brer Panther2 days ago

If natives in of themselves are being considered offensive now (I mean, there isn't anything really offensive about the MASK, right?), I wonder what that means for Moana.

mergatroid2 days ago

Can't say I even noticed the hook :D

Magicart872 days ago

Or this guy:

GimpYancIent2 days ago

Hey, since the Jungle Cruise is central to Adventure land and primates are emerging all over the place could an emblem or logo / representation evolve from something like this?

GimpYancIent2 days ago

Yeah, you are right. The hook? Not cartoony enough? Ahhhh too much cleavage, don't want to be slapped with an R rating? It's a thought though.