Construction permits filed for live show venues at Disney's Hollywood including Fantasmic!

Feb 18, 2021 in "Fantasmic!"

Posted: Thursday February 18, 2021 4:17pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

Disney has filed a number of permits in the last couple of days relating to live show areas at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Specifically, three permits have been filed for Fantasmic!, including for the performance island itself and backstage areas. (Thanks to @danlb_2000) on the WDWMAGIC Forums for spotting the permits.)

Elsewhere at the Studios, permits have been filed for work at the Theater of the Stars, and at the EPIC Stunt Show theater. Each of the permits is assigned to Buena Vista Construction Company, which typically handles small routine maintenance work. So while these permits do not suggest any significant work, it may mean smaller changes are being made to the areas to allow the shows to resume in some format.

All major live shows at Disney's Hollywood Studios have been on hold since the park reopening from the COVID-19 shutdown in 2020. Keeping performers physically distanced backstage has been a significant issue for many shows, as well as issues with moving large numbers of guests in and out of the theaters.

Crazydisneyfanluke31 days ago

I wouldn't be surprised if the launch site doesn't return (the one across the road) and DHS has projection based nighttime "spectaculars"

TransportationGuy31 days ago

Transport is not a primary factor at hand here.

Parker in NYC31 days ago

More here should follow your lead.

Touchdown31 days ago

This is going to cause me and a whole lot of people to spend all my nights at Epcot and MK. Bad planning.

Stevek31 days ago

I haven't given him a click in several years.

Parker in NYCJun 22, 2021

Maybe stop giving him clicks - then he'll slink away.

monothingieJun 22, 2021

Labor crunch strikes again? Anything about SW Fireworks?

AmidalaJun 22, 2021

Well Studios is pretty dead at night as it is. People seem to clear out quickly once they’ve ridden Rise.

Nick_AJun 22, 2021

I get that they don't "need" it for the remainder of this year (Bob's "UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND" will take care of that), but I assumed they would want a way to spread crowds out in the evening, particularly on nights that MK is hosting Boo Bash.

gerararJun 22, 2021

If they wanna pull crowds away from MK and Epcot (no need tbh), just open ROTR for standby at 8pm daily. ;)

havoc315Jun 22, 2021

Right before reading this article, I commented to a Disney fan in my office, "I'm surprised they didn't announce the Oct 1 return of Fantasmic with the other 50th anniversary announcements" -- Now, it makes sense. This seems entirely credible to me. It also means we can expect AK and DHS to be largely ghost-towns at night for the rest of the year (compared to MK and Epcot).

mikejs78Jun 22, 2021

You're right. For some reason I was confusing them with Inside the Magic.

StevekJun 22, 2021

I guess we could all rely on Tommy Boy instead :D:banghead:

StevekJun 22, 2021

Yep, this is all about cost savings and no "need" for entertainment from Disney's perspective. DHS will do just fine without it. The only issue would be if the new entertainment offerings at other parks end up pulling too many folks from DHS.