New no-stop security scanners now at EPCOT main entrance

6 days ago in "EPCOT"

The new no-stop security scanners are now in operation at EPCOT’s main entrance.

Originally piloted in June at Disney Springs, the new scanners greatly reduce the need for bag checks and provide a much improved guest experience.

With the main entrance at EPCOT, the scanners are now in use at International Gateway, Disney’s Animal Kingdom and Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

According to the manufacturer, Evolv Express is the first no-stop weapons-screening system built to automatically screen groups of people as they walk through without slowing or stopping. Express screens visitors individually or together, while automatically differentiating weapons from personal items. It is the fastest weapons-screening system on the market, consistently screening 60 people every minute for firearms and other threats. That’s 3,600 people per hour, or 10X faster than a traditional checkpoint system.

Check out the video below for a look at how the system works and its benefits over traditional metal detectors.

Article Posted: Oct 14, 2020 / 10:15am

NelleBelle1 day ago

Most X-rays I’ve seen don’t have warning signs. For my continuous glucose monitor and insulin pump and my mom’s pacemaker we were informed by the product reps who were doing the education/teaching of the product and by our physicians. I even have a card I carry. I may end up sending my product rep and endocrinologist an email to see what they’ve heard.

LastoneOn1 day ago

They might have some warning signs up for that when you get there.

pixie2251 day ago

I would love to know the answer to this also. I have a pacemaker and can't go through the standard detectors at many places. I actually looked at the Evolv website and can't find any info.

TrainChasers2 days ago

This seems like a bigger issue to me than Mickey bloggers taking photos of the new setup but what do I know!

Magic Feather2 days ago

A reported perk of the new system is that, when going through any bags that set off the machine, instead of checking the whole bag, security is “on a mission” to find the thing that set it off, which is approximated on the tablets. For instance, if someone comes through with a full backpack and a laptop inside sets off the detector, then, once the security check sees the laptop and verified that that set it off, it clears the bag.

Duffman722 days ago

True. But the Mrs. may not appreciate that at 9 in the morning.

GimpYancIent2 days ago

Fair point!

MaryJaneP3 days ago

If the entire fifth was inside you GI tract, these scanners will probably not detect it.

JoeCamel3 days ago

If you split into hip flasks they will object to the metal and have you show it. Better to leave it in the glass bottle.

Duffman723 days ago

So would these be able to detect a fifth of bourbon?

NelleBelle6 days ago

Does anyone know about going through these with implanted medical devices?? My mom has a pacemaker and I have an insulin pump and implanted continuous glucose monitor that neither of us can go through X-ray or body scanners (makes for good times with TSA at the airport 🙄). When I go to DLR, I bypass the x-ray and security does a pat-down and I indicate where my devices are implanted. I tried looking these devices up on the Evolv website and found NADA and my search other searches didn't turn up anything either.

SoFloMagic6 days ago

I'm pretty sure they're looking for anything hard. Pockets are all emptied for this reason. They're looking for a wider range of items. Disney (and most event security/stadiums/etc) is mostly concerned with guns, which this thing specializes in detecting.

Mousertainment6 days ago

I wish they would! It would make flying so much more appealing without that particularly odious current TSA process.

TrainChasers6 days ago

What are the tsa scanners checking for that the metal detectors don’t?