James Cameron has discussed with Bob Iger ideas to update Walt Disney World's Avatar Flight of Passage ride

Dec 08, 2022 in "Avatar Flight of Passage"

Avatar Flight of Passage tour
Posted: Thursday December 8, 2022 4:26pm ET by WDWMAGIC Staff

With the new Avatar movie release just around the corner, Director James Cameron has been speaking to the media and has mentioned the possibility of updating 'Avatar Flight of Passage' at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Speaking to Variety, Cameron said, "When Bob Iger came back a couple weeks ago, I did send him an email and say, 'You know, we can do "Avatar 2" and 3 motifs and put them into the physical hardware of Avatar Flight of Passage. He liked that idea. So nothing has been decided. But, you know, we would like to carry that along and update it from time to time with things that flow back out of the new movies. Because I think there's a good synergy between the physical base where you can go and just kind of meditate and be on Pandora and how the movies progress the story and bring in new imagery."

Located in 'Pandora - The World of Avatar' at Disney's Animal Kingdom, Flight of Passage combines cutting-edge 3D projections delivered at 10k resolution and 60fps with motion base simulator technology. Like Star Tours at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Flight of Passage could be updated with new visuals to create a new experience without changing the physical hardware.

'Avatar Flight of Passage' is one of the most popular rides at Walt Disney World, and one of legendary Imagineer Joe Rohde's final projects at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The next Avatar movie is released in theaters on December 16 2022. Set more than a decade after the events of the first film, "Avatar: The Way of Water" begins to tell the story of the Sully family (Jake, Neytiri, and their kids), the trouble that follows them, the lengths they go to keep each other safe and the battles they fight to stay alive.

spectromagic045 days ago

No pictures since I was working but they are finally starting to repaint the ground. It was starting to look really bad. They started on the walkway in front of Navi and assume they will slowly repaint everything.

EPCOT-O.G.15 days ago

Avatar 3 introduces us to the “ash people.” Repurpose the smellerizers for Ancient Rome

DisneyCane15 days ago

See my post about about the image yesterday. Also, the 3D is Dolby 3D for FoP I'm pretty sure (and Star Tours definitely).

DisneyCane15 days ago

Have they recently replaced or done maintenance on the projectors? It's been a few months and when we rode yesterday (lower hallway far right door) the image seemed much crisper and clearer than what I remembered.

JenniferS17 days ago

Yes, there too.

Centauri Space Station17 days ago

Perfect for DCA

MisterPenguin17 days ago

Soarin' need more golf courses.

JenniferS17 days ago

Soarin’ was perfect. Now, it isn’t.

Dapale17 days ago

Very true. I get more and more disappointed every time I ride it. They need to readjust/align the projectors every once in a while! Seems like it really shouldn't be the most difficult thing lol

dovetail6517 days ago

If Soaring and FOP were like the Dolby 3d for Way of Water or even the IMAX version(to my eye the Dolby was better) boy FOP and Soaring would really rock! I still love FOP, but every year we get further from 2017 FOP just seems less and less clear to my eye. Soaring is way too old not to get video upgrade. My kid just visited and says to me I know FOP is 3D dad, but take that away and your new TV and Atmos system at the house is way better picture and sound than Soaring and FOP.

BrianLo17 days ago

Indeed on the media blitz before this one released Cameron said 3 is happening regardless. Unless it crashed and burned in a spectacular fashion and Disney was going to pull a WB on Cameron I guess. The recent commentary post success speaks to the fact they need to get on filming 4/5 if Disney really still wants them to come out this decade. I'll be honest, I highly suspect 4/5 will still not hit their target dates. Really the production lag is so evident in how relevant Flight of Passage is still. It almost feels like a teaser to Way of Water we all didn't realize we were watching for 5 years.

ToTBellHop17 days ago

At least Soarin is a pretty unthemed ride so the change doesn’t impact the story and honestly, the vistas work better for Epcot than random locations in California. The crooked Eiffel Tower is an added treat. But given what they spent theming Flight of Passage and building it into the Hallelujah Mountains, it makes zero sense to suddenly submerge us because they made another movie. I’m shocked Cameron suggested it. I thought he demanded a level of perfection that would prevent a change like that. And why would the films impact a land ostensibly set decades after the films and, apparently, in an alternate universe (given recent remarks)? Spend the money on a new ride or making Kali into a real ride.

wdwmagic17 days ago

Like Soarin? But yeah I agree, seems a pointless exercise.

ToTBellHop17 days ago

Sure, but it’s called Flight of Passage, not Swim of Waterage. It already includes a view of environs from Way of Water at the end (we just didn’t realize it in 2017).